Churchill in Quotes celebrates the life and wit of this iconic figure – combining archive photography with the inspiring speeches, wry remarks and cutting comments he was known for. Sir Winston Churchill, statesman, orator and former Prime Minister was a man whose words gave hope and inspiration to the British people, and many are as relevant today as they were during the war years. Churchill’s speeches were not always confined to serious political rhetoric and motivation: his off-the-cuff quips and comments displayed a wry wit and humour. This book is a celebration of an outstanding figure in British history, presented in almost 200 photographs, hand-picked from the vast archives of the Press Association, many of which have remained unseen since they were first published in the newspapers and magazines of their day.
• Major events in Churchill’s life, from his birth and early days at Blenheim Palace to his marriage and the birth of his children
• His service in the army, war correspondence and role as First Lord of the Admiralty and appointment as Chancellor the Exchequer
• Formation of government as wartime Prime Minister and the political and cabinet posts held during almost 50 years
• His career as a historian and author and his hobby as a sensitive artist
• The many honours bestowed upon him, his decline, retirement and death at the age of 90 and the state funeral granted to him by the Quee